Wednesday, November 25, 2009

IE runs slow or not at all on Vista...What gives?

Just recently puchased a new Acer laptop: pentium dual core 2 GB ram. I have DSL which works fine on my four year old desktop. However, my laptop (IE7 more specifically) chooses when, or even if, it wants to display the Internet to me. Sometimes it will run at the speed I expect, a DSL speed. But, more times that not, it will display the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page. I am clearly connected to the Internet as I can ping yahoo.com (or any other address as the case may be). I have disabled IPv6 (I didn't know if this was somehow confusing the NIC since IPv6 isn't widely used at all....are they compatible?...I guess that's a different question). Is this something with Vista? What can I do to get IE7 to work right with Vista (or is there such a thing?). Or any other browsers besides Firefox?



IE runs slow or not at all on Vista...What gives?ie tab





1. It may be possible that IE7 has a corrupted / missing file. I'm not sure that this is the case, though, since you said it still runs occasionally. Since it would be considered a system file, you can run System File Checker to fix it. To run System File Checker, go to Start%26gt;Run, and type in "command". In the command prompt, type in "sfc /scannow". It will check for any broken files.



2. I'm not sure why you are so vehement against Firefox, but if you want to try something different, try either Opera or Safari:



http://www.opera.com/



http://www.apple.com/safari/

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
loan